Saturday 30 October 2010

Birthday party

It was the birthday celebration of the girlfriend of one of my friends, K, last night. It was a great night, had a really nice time. I do have to say though, I was really nervous about going. For two reasons - the first being that the only person I knew that would be there was K, and the second reason was that I was terrified of making a bad impression. Was quite nervous and imagining all the things that could go wrong - mishearing a conversation and making a statement that would make me look like an idiot.

I was considering getting in touch with K and not going. But then I thought, 'well, that's stupid, if I do that, I'm letting my 'disability' rule my life. I have nothing to be ashamed of'.

And as it turned out, I had absolutely no reason to be nervous. Everyone there was lovely.

We went to a restaurant followed by a few bars. As you all know, in places where there's a lot of background noise I don't hear all that well. But K was great - she made sure that I was included, and when people burst out laughing at something or other, she would ask me if I'd heard and explain what happened if I hadn't heard.

I'm always wary in some situations - I don't want to be the party-pooper and keep asking 'what's going?' 'what did s/he say?' 'what was the joke?' 'can you repeat that?'. It annoys some people. But K made sure that I was included in everything and would repeat things without me having to ask her to.

And all her friends were lovely as well - none of them covered their mouths when speaking to me and they all seemed to take my deafness in their stride. There was none of that 'oh you're deaf, poor you!' bullshit that I seem to get a lot.

There were a few questions - how long have you been deaf, how deaf are you etc. I much prefer being asked questions rather than people assuming things. I would rather people ask me questions rather than sit there uncomfortably not knowing how to act.

Later on in the evening I was also teaching a few of them some signs - the kind of things everyone wants to learn when they meet someone that knows a language that they don't. I am of course, talking about swear words. It's quite fun.

So, it was a great night, met a lot of great people and I have absolutely no idea why I was worried in the first place. Am very glad that I didn't let my insecurities rule my life and decided to just have fun.

Deaf Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment