Tuesday 12 October 2010

Communication

I was quite nervous today. I had a woman come round to assess me to see whether I could sign up and start lip-reading classes. Because there aren't that many teachers, classes get full quite quickly. Not just anyone can join either - you have to be assessed to see if it's something you genuinly need and would benefit from.

So the woman came round and we chatted for a bit. She asked me questions about my hearing loss, whether anyone else in my family has it etc. Knowing that no one in my family can sign and that my hearing is gradually getting worse, she has approved me!

Wahey! Classes start next Wednesday.

Can't tell you how thrilled I am. Being able to lip-read will help me immensly. It means that I will be able to communicate with my hearing friends and family. I'm just thinking about all those situations where my hearing aids can't be used - swimming, night clubs etc. Once I can lip-read, things will be a lot better and I won't just have to stand there smiling and nodding like an imbecile because I can't hear what people are saying.

And of course, I'm learning BSL as well. I want to be able to communicate in the deaf world as well as the hearing world. To be able to communicate with other deaf people will be fantastic.

It will be nice to be able to function in both the hearing and the deaf world, as opposed to living on the edge of both.

Am thrilled.

Deaf Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment