Wednesday 15 December 2010

First date

I'm now back at uni. Cat-sitting for Snoopy was fun. Although, there is one problem - I didn't wear my hearing aids for most of the weekend, so relied on my little gadgets to keep me informed for things like the doorbell ringing, phone ringing etc. That wasn't the problem. The problem was Snoopy.

She's a cat. She has super-hearing. I am a deaf human, I have hardly any hearing. She jumps at any little noise. She's lying on the seat next to me, and then suddenly she's sitting up, ears forward, staring at the door. Of course, me being home alone and deaf, I'm thinking 'oh shit, is there someone out there? Is someone creeping around the house and I can't hear them?'

Of course, no creeping of any sorts was done (as far as I'm aware). Her super-hearing was probably picking up the movement of mice outside. But her sleeping-to-sudden-standing-at-attention did creep me out a bit! I learnt that it isn't so much fun being a deaf woman home alone!

In other news, BSL class last night was fun. We signed the story of 'The Snowman'... and I'm pleased to say, I started thinking like a deaf person. BSL is a visual language. It's all about creating a picture. I didn't know how to sign 'making a snowman', so I thought about it. Okay, it's about showing people what happened. So I did. And I was right! Slowly starting to get the hang of this. Yay!

I had a first date yesterday as well. We had a wander around and went for a drink at a coffee shop. It was nice, he was funny, much laughing was to be had. Though there were awkward moments were I just couldn't hear what he had said, but it was obvious he was expecting a response of some sort.

So of course, I did what I always do when I have no idea what response I should give - make one up and hope for the best. It seemed to work.

He doesn't know I'm deaf. As I've said in a previous entry, it's difficult to know when to tell someone; the first time you meet them, once you get to know them etc. There are risks whatever you do - a lot of people can't be bothered to deal with a deaf person, think it's too much hard work. Or if you tell them too soon it seems like you're giving attitude and daring them to make a wrong move.

I don't know if I'll see him again or not - we had a nice time, but was there any chemistry...? I don't know yet. So we'll see what happens. If I do see him again, I will have to tell him I am deaf. And we'll see if he's one of those people that doesn't care, or runs for the hills.

Deaf Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment