Tuesday 7 December 2010

Difficult

Sign language is difficult. Like, really difficult. For those that think BSL is basically english but with signs instead of words, let me assure you, it really isn't.

It's a completely different language. You can't think in english and sign in BSL. You have to think in BSL. A sign in BSL might not have an english word equivalent and vice versa. In fact, one sign could be a whole english sentance.

You also have to watch facial expressions. Whereas the spoken language has different levels of pitch, intonation etc., the signed language has facial expressions. You can't just rely on your hands - that would be like someone speaking in a monotone voice.

The language syntax is also completely different. Take the following example.

English: I like your bag, where did you get it?
BSL: Bag like, from where.

English: The small red house on top of the hill.
BSL: hill, house, red, small on top.

Don't make the mistake that BSL is simple, is a child's language etc. Because it really isn't.

It's going to take me years and years to really grasp the language, to be fluent in it. This is quite difficult for me. Learning languages has always come naturally. If I were to suddenly wake up in Germany, with no one that spoke english around for miles, I would be able to look after myself. I'm not fluent in German, but I'm pretty good at it. I am fluent in english & dutch, and understand a bit of french.

I've always found that if I try hard enough when learning a language, it just comes to me naturally.

This isn't the case with BSL.

It's difficult, really difficult.

I'm feeling slightly disheartend. This is a language that, in 10 years time, might be the only language I can comunicate in. And right now, that is a very scary thought.

I'm not giving up, in fact I am more determined than ever to learn it. I'm just aware that it's going to be a long, difficult road.

Deaf Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment