Tuesday 3 May 2011

Royal whispering

The Royal Wedding. Of course I have to mention it (some of you may groan at that), after all, it was on the news over and over and over again. Did I watch it? I did indeed, as did millions of others. Future king & queen and all that. Some of my family came over to watch it at our house and we had a small party.

And the reason why I was glued to the TV? Lipreading what everyone was saying... I didn't catch everything, but I did manage to read some of what they were saying. It was great. Everyone in the room kept asking me what they were saying. It was definitely fun being able to lip-read some of their conversations. Although I did feel a tad bad about it... invasion of privacy and all that.

For those of you wondering what they said, I only managed to catch a few things - Prince William telling Kate (should that be Princess Kate?) at the altar that she looked beautiful & lovely. Prince William telling his new bride when to wave and bow. Prince William telling his new bride that it's time for them to kiss. Kate asking her husband what's next and Prince William saying they want more. I also think he said it was embarrassing, but can't be entirely sure.

If you want to know more, here's a link.

Right, that's all I'm going to write about the wedding, promise!

I had a lovely evening out tonight with some friends. It was made even better that they considered the problems I have with my hearing aids, and they chose a quiet restaurant to go to, instead of one with a lot of background noise. I was very grateful and touched.

It was a lovely evening with much laughter and rude jokes.

What I also liked is that they asked me questions about my hearing - so many people don't want to ask me about it, or are afraid to bring up the subject. I much prefer being asked questions and explain what's causing my deafness, what it's like, how I feel about it etc.

Much better than people (often wrongly) assume things. I am also by no means embarrassed by my deafness as it is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. I can't wait until I have finally mastered BSL and can really throw myself in to the deaf community.

So, if you have questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Deaf Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment