Thursday 2 September 2010

A bit wet

Hearing aids aren't waterproof. Which is unfortunate. I can't wear them when I go swimming, or have a shower, if it's torrential rain outside or whenever there's a lot of water around. In these cases, I have to take my hearing aids out and am deaf.

It's quite annoying, as there's certain things I can't do - have spontaneous water fights, play assassins etc. I'm also very aware of people playing pranks - if someone were to pour a glass of water - or any liquid - over my head as a joke, it would ruin hearing aids. And they aren't cheap!

But really, it's a small price to pay. Hearing aids are complex little things with batteries. And like most things with batteries, they aren't waterproof. Not really a big deal. So sometimes I have to be extra careful and sometimes I'm deaf. Not a big deal at all. Not like it does any harm... Or so you'd think!

There was one time when I was having a shower at my then-boyfriend's house. My hearing aids were out and I was enjoying the hot water - I tend to have quite long showers. I'm putting the conditioner in my hair and switch off the water. I hear a vague, quiet noise, but don't think much of it. I continue to do my hair. Only this noise persists. I wonder what it is.

So I put on a towel. Wander around the bathroom. Realise it's coming from the door. Realise it's my then-boyfriend shouting through the door. It turns out that the whole time I've been in the shower, I've been flooding the kitchen downstairs. And he's been banging on the door and shouting for me to switch the shower off.

Oops. Neither him nor his Mum were very amused, and I was mortified. Luckily though, there was no damage. And they understood that I wasn't ignoring them - I just didn't hear him banging and shouting. It all turned out fine in the end. Although for some reason, they always insisted I have a bath from then on, and I never used the shower again!

There've been other little mishaps. Quite often I step in the shower, forgetting I have my hearing aids in. Luckily, I've always remembered before the water managed to get to it. I'm sure my parents wouldn't be amused if I told them I broke a hearing aid by sheer forgetfulness. Although saying that, I have lost and broken a few hearing aids in the short while I've had them. But I guess that's a story for another time.

So yes, water is definitely not friends with hearing aids. And it doesn't just damage hearing aids, but kitchens as well...

Deaf Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment